Despite some initial hiccups after the launch, the company managed to sell more than 5 Million HTC One handsets so far. The result is impressive as they proved they have the potential to compete with Samsung Galaxy S4, Sony Xpreia Z and the iPhone 5. At the time of the HTC One launch, the Asian company was struggling to survive in the smartphone market and the rumors about their collapse was around the corner. But the sales performance of the their flagship phone is a new breath for them and the Taiwanese smartphone maker is here to stay.
We were covered an article about how to unlock HTC One Bootloader earlier and it’s the time for getting deeper and root the device. Rooting will allow you install the apps which requires to work root access and moreover you will be able flash new custom ROM’s on your device.
Today, in this article, we will guide on root HTC One and install CWM Recovery smoothly. For directness, I have divided this post in two parts. In first part, I will explain “How to install CWM Touch Recovery on HTC One” and in other part, I will guide you on “How to root HTC One”. Make sure you read the entire article and understand thoroughly before start. So, let’s start our journey!
Things to Rmember
- Rooting will void your device’s warranty
- Don’t try this method on any device other than HTC One
- You can’t apply OTA updates from HTC after the rooting
- Keep your device suffictiently charged (Min 80%)
- If you have any doubts ask us in the comments before proceeding further
Things to be Done
- All data will be erased so it’s important to take backup of important data.
- Make sure that you have enabled USB debugging (All apps > Settings > Manage Applications > Development > USB Debugging – check box)
- To do the rooting it’s required to unlock the HTC One bootloader first. Here is the steps to do it: How to Unlock HTC One Bootloader [Step-by-step Guide]
- Install USB drivers on your PC (Download HTC USB Drivers or Download HTC Sync Manager (Contains Drivers)).
How to install CWM Touch Recovery on HTC One
Step 1: Download “Fastboot” and extract it into C: Drive.
Step 2: Download “CWM Touch Recovery” File. As download completes, rename that file to “boot.img” and transfer it into Fastboot extracted folder.
Step 3: Now, turn off your phone and enter into bootloader mode by pressing & holding “Volume down + Power Button together” and from there select “Fastboot” mode.
Step 4: Connect your phone via USB cable to your computer.
Step 5: Open the command prompt (Win Key + R -> Type cmd -> Press enter).
Step 6: In open command prompt, type “cd c:Fastboot”
Step 7: To flash CWM Touch Recovery, type “fastboot flash recovery boot.img” and press enter.
Step 8: Flashing will be completed in few seconds and now you can disconnect your HTC One.
Till here, you will get the CWM Touch Recovery installed on your HTC One and now you can flash “.zip” to root HTC One easily.
How to root HTC One
Step 9: Download “SuperSU” file and place it into external/internal memory.
Step 10: Again, turn off your phone and enter into bootloader mode by pressing & holding “Volume down + Power Button together” and from there select “recovery” mode.
Step 11: From recovery menu, select “install zip from sd card” and give a path to SuperSU file, which you have downloaded earlier.
Step 12: After a few seconds, process will be completed. Now go back to the main menu and choose “reboot now” option.
That’s it! You have successfully rooted your HTC One as well as installed CWM Touch Recovery on it. This is the simplest guide on how to Root HTC One and Install CWM Touch Recovery, if you face any problem while doing rooting and flashing then share with us, we will solve it ASAP! Happy Rooting! 🙂