Planning to switch from iPhone to an Android smartphone? Okay, here is 10 reasons for why Android is a better option than iOS. Convinced? Good. What about the contacts you’ve in your iPhone? Are you going to lose them or planning to back them up? In case you are planning to back up your contacts then let me tell you, there are some certain ways that can help you. No need to opt for any third-party apps, just a few steps. Just for the record, switching operating systems is just not only a significant move, it may also result file incompatibility. As a result, some of your private data on your iPhone such as contacts and mails/messages can’t be read by the Android platform.
So here we will show you how to transfer contacts from iPhone to Android smartphone. At this juncture, you are going to need help of your Google Account. You must have a Google/Gmail account, don’t you? First things first, you will have to sync your contacts from your iPhone to Gmail. After that, from Gmail, you are going to bring them back to your new Android smartphone. I assured you you’re not going to need any third-party apps for this.
So now, how are you going to sync your iPhone contacts with Gmail account? There are two ways for this, one is iTunes and the other one is iCloud.
Syncing contacts using iTunes:
Well, in my opinion iTunes is the best way to sync your contacts with Gmail account. Since you have an iPhone, then for connecting it to your PC you must have been using iTunes.
- Now use the USB cable to connect your iPhone to your PC and open iTunes.
- Simply select your iPhone in iTunes.
- Now go for the ‘Info’ tab and tick on ‘Sync Contacts with’ and select ‘Google Contacts’.
- After selecting the same, it will prompt you to login to your Gmail account with login credentials like username and password.
- As soon as you provide the same it will sync to your Google account.
That’s it, now you’re done. For clarification, just login to your Gmail using any web browser and click on Gmail button situated under the ‘Google’, now from drop down options select contact.
What do you see? All your contacts have been imported successfully?
Syncing contacts using iCloud:
It depends on you, if you back up your data to iCloud regularly, then you can opt for this method.
- Visit the iCloud.com and login to your account with your iCloud credentials.
- Once you’re logged in, just click on the ‘Contacts’ option and all of your contacts of your iPhone will be displayed over there.
- Now select all of your contacts by pressing Ctrl+A from keyboard.
- Go to ‘Settings’ button on the bottom left corner and select ‘Export vCard…’.
- Save the file on your computer hard disk.
- Now login to your Gmail account and go to Contacts.
- Then look for ‘Import Contacts…’ option.
- If you find it click on it and an alert will be prompted asking you to ‘Please select a CSV or vCard file to upload’.
- Now choose the file that you downloaded earlier and click on ‘Import’ option.
- And all of your contacts will be imported.
Here comes the major part of our procedure, Merging Duplicate Contacts in Google. Why is this so important? Once you’ve imported your contacts to your Google account, you can easily dispose of duplicate ones; as a result there will be no dilemma later while choosing the genuine ones.
Merging Duplicate Contacts on Google:
It’s quite easy to merge duplicate contacts, just follow the procedures below.
- Login to your Gmail account and go for the ‘Contacts’, as you did earlier.
- Now click on the ‘More’ option and select ‘Find & merge duplicates…’ option.
- Then a page will be popped up containing the duplicate contacts.
- Just select the contacts that you want to merge.
- Click on ‘Merge’ option.
- And you’re done.
As the final step, you are going to transfer the contact to your Android smartphone.
Transfer Contacts to Android Smartphone:
Since you have successfully exported contacts from your iPhone to Google, here we’ll show how you are going to transfer it to Android smartphone.
- Now on your Android tap on Menu option.
- Then go to Settings and look for Account & Sync option.
- Now tap on that option and select Add Account.
- Choose Google.
- Now sign in to your Google account by keying in you id and password.
- Once you are connected to your Google account, you’ll land on a page asking you to choose the options that to be synced to your smartphone.
Now tick on ‘Sync Contacts’ option and tap on the ‘Finish’ button. That’s all. Go check you contacts list in your phone to further clear up.
Another advantage of Google contact is, if you lose your phone or you switch to another smartphone, with the help of your Google account you can retrieve all of your contacts whenever you need.